Wednesday 6 March 2013

"The Troll" Talks on Air

.
"I need an archaeologist to talk about artefact hunting in Britain and why it raises archaeological concerns" said US radio journalist "W.". "Where can I find one?"

He tried very hard, spoke to several people in the UK, all were rather less than keen to say anything on record. He thought he was on to something with a lady archaeologist in a big SE English (though not British) museum, but she clammed up and then refused to talk to him when he told her what the programme was going to be about. "Oooooo, well.... um, er". He had the same problem with a few other archie-folk over there in PAS-land."Why is that?" He asked me.

In the end I was persuaded to step in where the other fools would not tread. So it is you have a Polish-British archaeologist telling it like it is instead of a British-British one. I enjoyed myself recording it this afternoon in a very nice pre-War building (amazing entrance hall and stairs) in southern Warsaw and had a good chat with the bloke operating the machine. He turned out to be a very nice Polish-English film producer who listened very carefully to what I was saying about artefact hunting and dotty UK policies on it as a possible topic for a really ground-breaking film expose. Oh yes, none of this "Britain's Secret Treasures" PAS-pap-crap, but a real bit of investigative documentary film making. He promised to get back to me after he'd had a chance to look through this blog a bit to get the feel of the land... Let's see if anything good comes of it. Here are a few ideas for a starter.

If any British archaeologist would have been willing to speak today on the archaeological concerns about policies on artefact hunting and the artefacts trade, mudlarking or anything like that but cannot be bothered to do their own blog to let people know about their concerns, please drop me a line and next time somebody contacts me looking for someone to make a few soundbites or quotable quotes, I'll pass on the information. Although this niche blog makes me a little more visible in that regard, I'd hate to think I was the only one out here concerned about these issues and able to say why. 

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.