Friday 9 September 2011

Sir Mortimer's Cunies

.
An item in Bonham's New Bond Street Sale 18947 - Antiquities, 5 Oct 2011 caught my eye:
Lot No: 152, A Mesopotamian terracotta cuneiform tablet, Sumerian, Third Dynasty of Ur, circa 2080-2000 B.C.[...] Provenance: Given to Lady Mavis Wheeler as a gift by Sir Mortimer Wheeler after their marriage in 1939. Thence by descent.
My initial interest was the connection with my boyhood hero (who I actually met when he came to give a talk in my town and my school history teacher took me along). The more I thought about the beguiling and colourful Mavis however it seems to me an object with really quite special associations. What a pity I don't collect antiquities!

So, where did Sir Mortimer get it from?

2 comments:

kyri said...

take the plunge paul,buy your first piece.afterall it has great provenance.you will see how rewarding collecting antiquities[ethicaly of course]can be.
kyri.

Paul Barford said...

http://paul-barford.blogspot.com/2011/09/my-sir-mortimer-artefact.html

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.