Thursday 14 July 2011

More on "Windsor Antiquities"

.
Windsor Antiquities has apparently ceased trading under that name. The website is no longer functional, but over on V-Coins the link that used to go to their page now goes to Palmyra Heritage where a rolling newsline gives the following information:
Palmyra Heritage is our new company name formally (sic) windsorantiquities/ Gallery address 1050 second avenue #16 between 56 and 55 streets/ we have a Gallery open to the public Monday throught friday/ i will be at the Fun Coin Show Orlando FL July 2011
The "About me" page gives a potted biography of the owner:
I am Morris Khouli. I moved to New York City in 1992 with my family and opened a gallery in New York City in 1995. My father had a gallery in Damascus for 35 Years, and he learned the business from my Grandfather who was in the business as well. I am the third generation in this business. Thanks to my dad, he taught me the business and I learned to love ancient coins and antiquities ever since I was a little boy.Many collectors and dealers know me since I do a lot of shows in New York, California, Maryland, Florida, Illinois, and the ANA show, wherever it is since 1993.

This is what Ancient and Medieval artefacts they have on sale today:
Sold Items (5984)


Windsor Antiquities was cited in a recent article as having sold some incantation bowls of unclear origins ("Syria") [Neil Brodie 2008, 'The Market background to the April 2003 plunder of the Iraq National Museum pp. 41-54 [in:] Peter G. Stone, Joanne Farchakh Bajjaly, Robert Fisk (eds), 'The destruction of cultural heritage in Iraq', Boydell and Brewer]. See also here, here, here, and here.


Note the quantity of Luristan bronzes (pages 2-5) offered by Palmyra Heritage with regard to my earlier comments about the items co-defendant Ramadan was selling before he disappeared.

It would be interesting to know when the firm changed its well-established name, and what reasons were given for this to the collecting community.

Photo: A Manhattan Art & Antique Center vendor booth believed to belong to Mousa Khouli, who has recently been charged with smuggling Egyptian antiquities (Rob Bennett for The Wall Street Journal). Vignette: the real Palmyra, just up the road from Damascus, but quite a long way away from Luristan and Egypt.
.

No comments:

 
Creative Commons License
Ten utwór jest dostępny na licencji Creative Commons Uznanie autorstwa-Bez utworów zależnych 3.0 Unported.